1 large fryer chicken, cut up or 10 chicken thighs with skin
1 celery stalk, cut into large pieces
1 carrot, cut into large pieces
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 to 1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
4 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup flour
1 32 oz. box chicken broth
1 tsp. fresh thyme
2 cups Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
1. Combine stock ingredients in Dutch oven; add enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until chicken is done.
2. Remove chicken and let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove skin from chicken and tear away meat from bones, set aside. Strain broth and return to dutch oven.
3. Add Olive oil to Dutch oven and saute carrots, celery and onion until tender. Add salt and pepper.
4. In separate pan melt butter, add flour and stir quickly. Add 1/2 reserved broth slowly, stirring constantly. Add to carrot mixture, stirring. Add remaining broth, chicken bouillon, and thyme. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Mix together dumpling ingredients and add by tablespoonful into pot. Simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve immediately. Yield 6 servings