July 6, 2009

Sweet Cornbread

Ever since my husband was diagnosed with Celiac disease two years ago I have been experimenting with various recipes and trying to modify them so that they would be gluten fee and he could enjoy eating normally again. It is hard to fill a man up on only grilled meat and veggies! Men want bread, heck we all crave it! Here is a wonderful cornbread recipe that I came up with this weekend. Now, I am a southern gal, born to southerners but raised in the North, and I have had my fair share of great cornbread. This is the closest I have come to making something that even my southern Mamaw would eat, and that says a lot!




1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix (I use Tom Sawyer's brand and it is by far the best I have tried)
3/4 cup gluten free cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup skim milk
1/4 vegetable oil
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon honey
1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour oil into a cast iron skillet and place into oven to heat up. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, honey, and egg, mixing until dry ingredients are moistened. Add hot oil and carefully stir until blended. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm

No comments: